Many property owners received an underpaid or denied insurance claim from Hurricane Ida and don’t know they can still dispute it. Our team at CJ Claims is working diligently to share education with as many Louisiana property owners as possible.
A hurricane is one of the most traumatic and stressful events you may experience in your life, and Hurricane Ida in Louisiana was no different. Ida was the fifth-most destructive hurricane in U.S. history, leaving thousands with significant property damage that may take years to recover from. Recent reports estimate that the cost of these damages are upwards of $75 billion nationwide.
Ida Claim Updates
According to the Louisiana Department of Insurance, as of June 30, insurers have paid or reserved to pay $13.1 billion on all types of Hurricane Ida-related claims in Louisiana. Policyholders have filed 460,709 claims of all types from Hurricane Ida as of June 30. Of those claims, 299,440, or 65%, were closed with payment, garnering $9.8 billion in payments for damage caused by the hurricane.
If your property suffered damage but your claim was underpaid or denied, don’t panic. Following hurricanes and major storm events, this can be a common occurrence.
“We’re helping thousands of property owners with their claims. There are a lot of myths out there and many don’t know their rights. We’re advocating for property owners to receive fair and balanced settlements and managing their claim process for denied and underpaid claims. It can be a nightmare for many to juggle this confusing legalese and try to get back to normal life. We’re committed to spreading awareness and education about their claim rights,” says Christopher Johnston, CEO & Founder of CJ Claim Services & Licensed Public Adjuster.
As an industry leader, Chris knows the insurance claim process, inside and out. Chris has over 15 years of experience and an extensive background in public adjusting, insurance adjusting, construction, restoration, emergency services, estimating, supplementing, large loss claims, and project management. Chris founded CJ Claim Services to help property owners navigate the confusing claim process.
Insurance Claim Tips
- Some property owners that receive a settlement amount hold on to the check from the insurance company, thinking if they cash it, they can’t dispute the claim. These checks can and will be voided by the insurance carrier if not cashed. Do not hold on to that check. Cash it! Yes, the claim can still be disputed.
- Denied claims can also be disputed.
- Underpaid claims can still be disputed.
- You also have the right to file a supplemental claim if inflation or a new damage discovery caused the cost of your repair to increase.
- The deadline for filing Hurricane Ida claims is August 29, 2023. There is a full year left to file.
According to a recent report, the Louisiana Department of Insurance (LDI) received 8,819 complaints and helped consumers recover $129,057,866 in additional payments from insurers between July 1, 2021, and June 30, 2022. Hurricane Ida accounted for the majority of the funds recovered through the complaint process with 4,924 complaints and $100.6 million in recovered funds. If you need to file a complaint regarding your claim, you can contact the Louisiana Department of Insurance by calling 1-800-259-5300 or visiting www.LDI.LA.Gov. If you need help managing your claim, contact CJ Claim Services at 504-252-8204 or online at www.CJClaimServices.com.
“If inflation or the discovery of previously unknown damage caused the cost of your repair to increase since you received the initial payment from your insurance company, you have the right to file a supplemental claim,” said Commissioner Donelon. “I encourage any policyholder having problems getting their insurer to pay a claim to call us at 800-259-5300 and file a complaint,” says Commissioner James D. Donelon, Louisiana Department of Insurance.
CJ Claim Services: Expert Public/Private Adjusters
As local, licensed Public Adjusters with over 15 years of experience, our expert team at CJ Claims is helping many property owners receive fair and balanced Ida settlements. We know firsthand what it’s like to endure the devastating experience of property damage and loss due to weather events completely out of your control. Our expert Public Adjusters review your policy and manage your property damage insurance claim from start to finish. Whether you have a delayed claim, denied claim, or underpaid claim, we advocate on your behalf and help you obtain a fair and balanced settlement.
Damaged? Denied? Underpaid? Contact Us For a Free Policy Review!
- Insurance Business Magazine: What are the costliest natural catastrophes in the US?
- Louisiana Department of Insurance: Commissioner Donelon Releases Hurricane Ida Data Through June 30
- InsuranceNewsNet: Louisiana: Insurers have paid $13.1B in Hurricane Ida claims
- New Orleans City Business: Insurers paid $9.8B in Ida claims, with $3.3B still to be paid
- Reinsurance News: Insurance claims in Louisiana from Hurricane Ida reach $13.1 billion
- NOLA: Hurricane Ida makes Top 10 for costliest storms in U.S. history
- Insurance Journal: Louisiana Policyholders Recover $129 Million